Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Music Therapy

One thing I am nearly obsessive about is music. I could go on and on about anything music for many days, I am sure. I have a wide span of musical interests. People seem to try and pinpoint the kinds of music I might like,but usually are very surprised when they take a look at my itunes.  This is all besides the point.

Something I love about music is that it is unendingly therapeutic. Each song has something to offer. I don't know how I would get through this point in my life without listening to the music I have. Recently, I go from Country Strong soundtracks to the power pop voice of Christina Perri to the rap/R&B style of Rihanna ft. Eminem. Every song has a purpose in every situation. You might think those dance songs or highly positive, happy songs have no place in the death of a loved one or a heart-breaking break-up (as in my case). But, I think they are there for that moment when you are coming out of the sadness and need the help to be pulled out of it. Music has so much power in my opinion.

The past couple days songs have been bringing images I just don't want to remember out of me. Although, I need to remember those things to remember why I cannot be with my recent ex. He did some horrible things while we were together. He did some pretty upsetting things...sometimes gross things. I overlooked it because I thought: "He loves me. He isn't being like all the other guys. He is just being normal. This is normal." IT IS NOT NORMAL. It is not how a woman should be treated.  Such DISRESPECT. That is all I keep thinking today. I know I still love him. But today I really finally feel that I wasn't wrong.  I didn't do anything to deserve how I was treated. It could have escalated too, who knows.

I will let go of this feeling. I know it will subside. I know I will eventually not need to write out my thoughts about it. Just like music is my therapy. Writing is my therapy, as well. With music and my words, I will get over this. I will remain strong. I will be the woman I know; strong, spitfire, fun, Trixie.


This is the song I have been listening to throughout this time A LOT. I feel it captures a lot of the situation (even though it never got physically abusive... it was emotionally and verbally).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xukp782iBlc&feature=share

1 comment:

  1. What do you mean sometimes gross things? I've got work at 4. But you can text me. It probably won't be too busy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete