Friday, August 5, 2011

The Secret Life of the Unemployed Graduate

My younger sister (college graduate as of this May) and I (college graduate as of May 2009) are both recently unemployed. We spend most our days applying and hoping for a job to fill our time. However, the other day my sister tweeted something quite true: "Years ago I wished I was a cat because all day long they sleep and wander the house. Unfortunately my wish came true,except I'm not as cute." 






The life of the unemployed is always one you dream of, mostly, because usually it involves having large amounts of money. That is most definitely not the case here.  When you imagine your life not having to go to work everyday, lounging around, getting a tan, watching a million movies it usually DOES involve some time out of the house. Funny story... most things that people do outside of the house involve money. That leaves us at this very point in time. A slightly humorous, ultimately boring life to lead is that of the broke and unemployed.


It is quite lovely when you have an amazingly supportive and lovely family that will pay your student loan payments for you when you are not employed. That is one very happy note to make here. *Very Grateful*


moving on...


I thought I would recap a typical day in the life of a broke, unemployed gal such as myself. Now, this is not every day, just a normal day. So here goes:


1. Wake up around 9 or 10 a.m. depending on how late I was up the night before.
2. Check phone and return any texts received while asleep. *Text friends through out the entire day, but I am not going to note that a million times.
3. Make my way downstairs to make a healthy breakfast, typically eggs. 
4. Watch How I Met Your Mother with my sister until 11 a.m.
5. Go upstairs and do my accelerated yoga workout.
6. Put gym shoes on. Grab dog leashes and go outside to take my two dogs on a 40 minute long power walk-since I cannot run due to a back injury that gets inflamed. (To spice up my days and have a "project" I have been working on sticking in good physical shape with exercise and healthy eating.)
7. Check and make various updates to my interweb stuff. (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, my group blog, this very blog, job listings and my email) *this step continues through out the day
8. Make myself a healthy lunch then shower
9. Watch television shows that I have DVR'd while doing step 7 and getting "ready for the rest of the day" *this usually lasts quite a while.
10. Check any stories about Chicago sports teams.
11. Bring the dogs in from their run and feed them.
12. IF I have a moment of creativity I will write during this time.
13. Make myself a healthy dinner.
14. Watch the Nightly News.
15. Do weird things, listen to sister's jokes, make weird noises, etc. because I am bored.
16. Step 7.
17. Get a little hungry and get some Skinny Cow candy bars. (DELICIOUS btw)
18. Goof around with my sister... watch television shows that I do not care about. ( If I watch shows that are being DVR'd it throws off the routine of the day for the next day)
19. Wash face, brush teeth,, make sure room is in order etc.
20. Step 7 plus mindless television watching or listening to music until I get tired. (If sleepiness becomes difficult then take a Tylenol PM)
21. Sleep.


So next time you think about how you'd like to be a cat. Read this routine and have a good laugh. 

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha. i loved this post! it is so true! And just so you know this is what i do.. and I am employed.. however.. i am massively broke due to hours cut. i basically feel like i don't have a job... =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw man it really blows especially since you actually do have a job! :(

    ReplyDelete